Wednesday, March 10, 2010

$19.07

...is what I spent at Walgreens this morning, for this:


Okay, I'll hand it to the coupon naysayers who say that you buy more stuff than you intend to when you use coupons. Sometimes that's true. Just last night, I realized that we needed more diapers. I didn't buy any at the grocery store, knowing that we would be working on potty training this week and have plenty of cloth dipes that my lazy butt needs to get back to using if we happen to need them...but I didn't think about nighttime. So, I needed diapers. And being that Milly has shared her cold with me, I needed some cold medicine too. So I hopped onto the Southern Savers website (the link is right over there, on the right) and checked out the deals for my local stores. No Huggies on sale anywhere. Hmph. I'd just have to do something different, then.

Walgreens DID have Vicks products on sale, though - $4.49 for Dayquil and Nyquil. And if you bought five Vicks products, you got $10 in Register Rewards. Hmmmm...

They also had a great deal with Oral B toothbrushes on sale, but I kind of botched that one. I learned a valuable lesson about always, always, always checking the website and coupons against the sales circular to be sure that I get the *exactly* right thing. The way that deal should have worked, I would have gotten back $3 RR more...I didn't, but it still ended up okay.

(2) Oral B Advantage toothbrushes - on clearance for $2.29 each
(1) Crest Pro-Health toothpaste - on sale for $2.29

- 1.00 Crest coupon
-.75 Oral B coupon
-3.00 in RR from my last visit

I paid $2.46 for those, which averages out to $.82 each. That's respectable.

Now, the cold stuff...I picked up three bottles of Dayquil and two of Nyquil, on sale for $4.49 each, plus a box of Puffs Plus Lotion for my snotty nose ($2.49, not on sale.) Thanks to my lovely coupon stash, I had five coupons for $1.50 off any Vicks product, plus one for a free box of Puffs when you buy any two Vicks.

Dayquil/Nyquil = 4.49 x 5 = 22.45
Puffs = 2.49
Total = 24.94

- 1.50 coupon x 5 = 7.50
- free Puffs coupon = 2.49

I paid $15.07 out of pocket for this bunch, about $2.52 per item. But...I got my $10 RR in return.

Diapers are exorbitant at Walgreens - 10.99 for a pack of 27. But I handed over my $10 RR and bought them for just $1.54 - not too shabby for three weeks worth of nighttime coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment