Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter!

Even though I haven't been to bed yet, it's still Easter morning - and my heart is overjoyed. I can't begin to understand, not even a little, how God could love us so much that he would send his only son to be ridiculed, arrested, beaten, and crucified...for us. For me. I am in awe. And I am rejoicing that death couldn't hold Him, the tomb couldn't keep Him. I serve a risen Savior, and I'm celebrating Him today!

It was pointed out to me during the past week that a lot of Christians don't partake in the bunny and basket and eggs portion of the Easter festivities, focusing solely on the true meaning of the holiday. For various reasons, I don't find the kiddie elements harmful...my girls had their picture made on the Easter Bunny's lap today (well, yesterday) - one smiling and one screaming. We dyed eggs today, and set out their baskets before bed. We also made Easter Story cookies, which contain vinegar (what they gave Christ to drink on the cross), salt (to represent His followers' tears), sugar (for the sweetness of His gift), etc. It's all about balance for me. For my girls to know why we celebrate this day is of primary importance; but they can have some fun too, as long as we're celebrating anyway!

Which brings me to what I really wanted to write about tonight. I waited until everything else was finished and I was nearly ready for bed before I sat down to put together the girls' Easter baskets. Gene was helping me fill eggs with jellybeans, then he reached into a bag and pulled out a box. Turning it so I could see the deformed lump of brown goo inside, he asked me, "What did this USED to be?"

Well, crap. That used to be a chocolate bunny. So did the other box of melty brown goo. And I am a moron bunny killer.

See, it's been about two weeks since I went shopping for Easter basket goodies. It was still chilly here then, so I had shoved the bag beneath the front center console of my minivan, where I knew that Rachael would never, ever have cause to look. And then, I kind of forgot about them. I mean, subconsciously, I knew where the Easter stuff was hidden. I just didn't put two and two together when the weather started getting warmer and warmer...up to about 85 yesterday. *sigh*  Poor little chocolate bunnies. They never stood a chance.

So, here we are, boxes of melty bunnies in hand. I'm hyperventilating a little, because you just can't have an Easter basket without a chocolate bunny! Especially since I'd gone really light on the candy this year anyway. And here's what will very likely kill me to not be able to share with my girls until they're much, much older: he got right up, grabbed his hat, and headed out the door, at 12:45 a.m., to go buy new chocolate bunnies, and I didn't even ask him to.

I was thinking about it, of course. I had already showered and was in my pajamas, and I was already mentally planning what needed to be done...go get dressed, locate keys, drive the car since it likely has more gas than the van, nowhere is open but Wal-Mart, which one could I get to fastest? But no. He very likely knew what was on my mind, and he rose to the occasion. I absolutely adore him for that. He's such a good daddy, and I want to shout it from the rooftops, want them to know the kind of little things he does for them without hesitation. But for now, I just have to write them down, so I won't forget, so I can tell them someday...

Happy Easter, everyone! Wishing you a heart full of joy and a basket full of chocolate. :)

2 comments:

  1. Super Hugs to Gene! What a wonderful daddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lucky girls to have a awesomd daddy like that..I LOVE reading your blog, everything you write is so beautiful..

    ReplyDelete