Okay, so one of my goals for 2011 was "blog more", which I've been doing okay with so far, but not spectacular. And truth be told, I'm just about out of things to write about by the end of the week, and too busy to write it on Saturdays anyway. So I just went poking around online for a fun Saturday meme or two, and came up with two that I loved the sound of and will try to make weekly thing of. You're welcome to join me, of course - leave me a comment if you do so I can be sure to check it out!
The first one is called Pink Saturday. Oh yeah!! So here's a little confession...I adore pink. I've never been a truly girly girl - never a tomboy, mind you, but nowhere close to prissy either. But the older I get (and the more I'm surrounded by it), the more I enjoy it. So the point of Pink Saturday is to show you a picture of something pink, and to visit other blogs and see their pinkness too. Want to show off some of your own pinkness? Just visit How Sweet the Sound to read all about Pink Saturday! (Thanks for hosting, Beverly!
And now for my personal pink - the laptop from whence this blog comes:
Her name is Harvi. Just like Harvey, except my old laptop - a blue one - was named Harvey, and this one is definitely a girl. Too much trouble to do a complete name change, though, as I was already used to calling my laptop Harvey...so yeah. Harvi.
* * * * *
The second meme that reached out and grabbed me was the Saturday 9 - that is, nine questions to answer each week. Sometimes themed, sometimes random. And we all know how I love randomness. You know you want to play along with this one!
Here are this week's questions and answers...
1. What's the nicest thing a complete stranger ever did for you? I'm not sure if it's absolutely the nicest thing, but the first thing that springs to mind is the nurse that hugged me and prayed for me while I was getting an epidural with my first daughter. The same nurse that held my hand when the stupid epidural caused her heart rate to plummet and I was terrified that my baby was going to die. The same nurse who didn't leave when her shift ended at 7 p.m., because she had been with me all day and was determined to be there to greet my little girl. The same nurse who came by to visit the next day, even though it was her day off. You get the picture. Granted, she wasn't a total stranger, being my assigned nurse, but I had never met her before that day and she was amazing.
2. What one thing always speaks deeply to you, to your spirit, no matter your mood or what else is going on in your life? MUSIC. Always music. Most any kind of music, too, although contemporary Christian is what touches me most often. I'll be driving down the road with K-LOVE on the radio, and the waterworks will just sprout forth from thin air, a message in the song having touched my heart. (Of course, I also cry at Christmas carols and any song that mentions a little girl.)
3. How many jobs have you held in your life? How many of those were part of your chosen career field? Let's see...all in all, I've had six jobs that resulted in paychecks. (My current job is by far the biggest and most important, but the money is rubbish.) None of the jobs were part of my chosen career - being a mommy - although all of them taught me valuable skills that I still use every day. I've been a waitress, cashier, salesperson, assistant manager, glorified administrative assistant and data entry drone. All of them helped teach me to get my work done quickly while dealing with ridiculous demands from unreasonable people, and to do it with a smile on my face.
4. Of those jobs, how many did you leave voluntarily? All of them - a couple of them, I couldn't volunteer to leave fast enough!!
5. How did you discover Saturday 9? How long have you played? I just found it today, while searching for Saturday memes, and this is my first go at it. Can't wait to see what the questions will be next week!
6. What's the worst beverage you've ever tasted? Beer. Followed closely by wine. How people drink mass quantities of that stuff is beyond me.
7. Is there anything in life you are "certain" about? Firm in your beliefs? Strong in your convictions? How to phrase this adequately...I am certain in my Father in Heaven, in His love and that of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I am certain and firm in my religious beliefs, although the very term "religious beliefs" sounds far too stuffy for what is more of a relationship. I have a few other strong convictions, but that one is primary.
8. How did you come up with the title of your blog's posts? Individual post titles are a crapshoot. Sometimes something clever pops into my head while I'm typing, sometimes I have it in mind before I even start. Other times I struggle to come up with something that makes just a little bit of sense...
9. Would you consider yourself a good cook? Fair to middlin', I guess. I can follow instructions in a recipe really well, and about 90% of the time it comes out tasting good, if not looking like the picture. I'm not so good at cookies from scratch, so don't ask me to make those. I'm a whiz at Break 'n Bake, though.
* * * * *
There we go! An honest-to-goodness Saturday post - quick and easy, and fun, too. :)