Saturday, November 26, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude 2011: Day Twenty

I am thankful for home and clothes and food, and thankful that I don't have to worry about these things. Not because I'm married to a wonderful man who works hard to provide them (although I am thankful for that too), but because my Father has promised to provide them for us. He may not deposit a paycheck into our bank account, but He'll provide the job. He may not do the grocery shopping, but He'll provide a means for food.


Matthew 6:25-26 tells us, "do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air: they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you much more valuable than they?"






Excellent point. But it doesn't stop there. "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?"




Lovely analogies, but verses 31-34 really drive the point home:

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."



I especially love the reminder that He knows we need these things. Of course he does - he made us! I know that my children need to eat, need to drink, need clothes and shoes and shelter, and I provide these things for them since they are unable to procure these necessities for themselves. That's what parents do. And my children absolutely take it for granted. They've never been hungry or cold or homeless - the things that they've needed have just always appeared.


God has done the same for me - and I am thankful to have a Father who is so attentive to our needs.

1 comment:

  1. I love those verses and am reminded every time I read them just how much God is in every detail of our lives.
    Thanks for posting them to remind me again of His love.

    ReplyDelete