Sunday, June 17, 2012

Things I've Learned From My Dad

A random collection, in no particular order...
  • The love of books. I suspect that this is actually genetic since I spent the majority of my time with my mom as a small child - who couldn't read even a children's book without falling asleep, bless her heart - but I've always been an unabashed bookworm nonetheless. Dad is a naturally wordy person, and language has always come very easily to me as well...and now, to Rachael. Lucky us! At any rate, Dad was the one who first confirmed my suspicion that books are the most wonderful thing in the history of ever.
  • You can never have too MANY books, either. Bookshelves are appropriate decor for every room in the home.
  • When there's a job to be done, do it and do it to the best of your ability. However, sometimes you need to say NO. No one person can do it all, and that's okay. I am not superhuman.
  • Air conditioning is a marvelous thing.
  • Being a Christian is not about ritual - it's about relationship and integrity. Going to church every Sunday is not enough to get anyone to Heaven. Know what the Bible says, and do it. Don't add to it; don't take away from it. It is infallible, and it is worth studying. (I am so, so blessed to have had strong Christian role models as a child, and especially my dad and stepmom.)
  • Humility. Yes, I'm unique - just like everyone else. I'm no better and no worse, and should love everyone. Even if I don't particularly like them.
  • Guess what?*
  • Humor is just a necessity. There are times and places where it is appropriate, but it's nearly always better to laugh than to cry.
  • Never stop learning.
  • Take lots and lots of pictures. Things change in a hurry.
  • If I can ever find a yellow necktie with red palm tree print, he'll wear it.
  • Popularity is okay, but it's better to have a select few people who you trust and enjoy spending time with.
  • Stand up for what you know is right, no matter what the cost.
  • An appreciation for Garfield - from whom I have also learned many valuable lessons. For example:
  • A clean car drives better. Unfortunately, this is a lesson that I've remembered, but have yet to truly internalize, as evidenced by the minivan that used to be white but is now more of a mottled tan.
  • Driving is no joke. Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye - be aware of what's happening around you. Especially watch out for the other guy.
  • Texting while driving is just about the most stupid thing you can do.
  • The joys of a major league ballgame during the summer.
  • Embrace individuality. What works for everybody else might not work for me, and that's fine too. If they don't like it, it's their problem - not mine.
  • There's never a wrong time for ice cream.
Dad has taught me so much that I could go on and on, but there's a book calling my name and I know he'll understand.

Although I'm not prone to mushiness, I found this little poem while I was searching for one of the above graphics, and thought it very fitting for my dad on Father's Day. So, in closing...

A dad is always there when you need a helping hand;
He's someone you can count on when things don't go as planned.
A dad will cheer you on in everything you do,
And when life brings a challenge, his prayers will see you through.
God gave me someone special, and I'm so very glad
My life has been made richer through the faith and love of Dad.



* Chicken butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment