Thursday, November 1, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness, Day One

Last November, I attempted to blog each day about one thing that I am thankful for. I started off strong, slacked off in the middle of the month, and finished up with a list at the end of the month to catch up.

This November, I briefly considered a repeat of my month of gratitude and decided that...nah, I'd just slack off again, so why bother? My blogging track record has hardly been exemplary of late, after all.

Today, everyone else in the world started posting day one of their own 30 days of gratitude on Facebook. And with very few exceptions, they all said the same thing: I am thankful for God/Jesus/the cross. (I have a bunch of awesome friends that way!)

So I thought about it a little more. Temptation being what it is, I very nearly chimed in with my own "me too" status, saying how thankful I am that God loves me, inexplicably, the mess that I am. My mouse finger drifted to that little status box several times today. Every time, though, my inner teenager rolled her eyes and said, "I'm not doing it just because everyone else is doing it."

"Besides, I'm thankful EVERY day, not just on the days of THIS month."

"And I can't sum up my gratitude for what Jesus did for me on the cross in one measly status update anyway."

"Or state it as eloquently as she did."

But the truth is, I AM grateful for all of the above, and why not say "me too?" Why not take part in the 30 days of gratitude again? After all, it's not a difficult assignment - I have so much more to be thankful for than I could possibly blog about in one month.

Even though it amounts to "me too," there isn't a single thing that is more fitting for day one of a month-long gratitude list. I can do nothing without Him, but I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength. And I am grateful for Him every moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment